Below is a list of words from Content Vocabulary Japan. They are in alphabetical order and defined.
|Vocabulary Word||Definition of Vocabulary Word|
|animism||belief that all natural things are alive and have their own spirits|
|clan||group of families related by blood or marriage|
|constitution||plan of the government|
|daimyo||powerful military lord in feudal Japan|
|feudalism||political system based on the bonds of loyalty of lords and vassals|
|guilds||medieval business groups formed by craftspeople and merchants|
|martial arts||sport, like judo and karate, that involves self-defense and combat|
|meditation||a practice of reflection to clear the mind and find inner peace|
|samurai||class of warriors in feudal Japan that pledge loyalty to lords in return for land|
|sect||a smaller religious group of distinct belief within a larger belief group|
|shogun||military ruler of Japan|
|tanka||Japan's oldest form of poetry; an unrhymed poem of five lines|
|vassal||in feudalism, a noble who held land from and served a higher-ranking lord, and in return was given protection|
- Calligraphy is featured more than two times and is highlighted also in the book, Medieval and Modern Times.
- Clan is a synonym of tribe and is most likely to get confused with.
- By "feudal Japan" it means an era where Japan conducts feudalism.
- By the word, "Feudalism", in this case, feudalism in Japan is based on a daimyo (lord) and a peasant, merchant, or artisans (vassals). However a daimyo (lord) can also be a vassal.
- Feudalism is featured more than two times and is also highlighted in the book, Medieval and Modern Times.
- By the word, "Vassal", it does not have to vary a noble, it can vary a peasant or a samurai.
- Feudalism in Europe is very simalar as Feudalism in Japan.
- The word, "Animism" is based from the word, "Shinto".